Monday, March 22, 2010

The "what" and the "why"

Last year I use to go on youtube to watch people's weight loss transformations. There are lots of videos and video blogs that show people as they change. Its really fun and encouraging to see so many losing weight.

I also use to be part of a group called "Overeaters Anonymous". I actually became a member before I started losing weight. My decision to lose weight came after the realization that overcoming an eating disorder required Change. So, after a few months of group talks, and online OA meetings, I joined Diet.com and actually Changed!



First however I realized the problem was deeper than just what I was eating. The problem was why and what. Often times we conquer the What without addressing the why. This often results in "yo-yo" diets. People lose and gain because the problem is still there.

For me, the issue was control. I did not know how to control my emotions. I soothed them with food. Which really just caused more problems. For months, and even sometimes now, I ask myself "am I hungry". When the answer is no.. the realization can be frightening. Asking yourself "why" is often something we don't want to do. Why am I eating? Why do I take seconds? Why can't I stop? Why do I eat when no one is around?

Evaluating ourselves can be painful. I know it is..

In order to change we must look at our entire lives, not just the diet. What are we eating? And why are we eating it?

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Rachel. Keep going! You are an inspiration for all of those that need to loose weight. Reading your blog, it is so true what you are saying. I have been through the same steps some years ago. It takes some time to realize all the things you have said but once you got there, it is much easier to loose weight. Good luck for the last 25 :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete